“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


03 January, 2011

Maybe in metric

I am not an imposing figure. Well, perhaps to the manager of an all you can eat buffet I am, but not when it comes to height. Like most shorter people I use to resort to exaggeration and fractions to make my stature seem more grand. But the truth is I am 5'7". That's it, just 67 inches (170 centimeters). Currently the average height for an American male is 5'10", that makes me short. Even though there are days where I feel like the terrier barking at the Great Dane, most of the time I could care less. It once bothered me, but not any longer.

There have been people in my life that have helped me with this paradigm shift. Beckie Stearns stands about 4'11" on a good day, but believes she is 6'3" and made of solid muscle. I have seen her poke a huge man in the chest and yell at his belly button. Having seen her take charge, I realized that height is merely a physical measurement. It makes me think of the difference between Saul and David. Saul was described as the perfect physical specimen, while David was a young shepherd boy. But God was clear, it was never the physical that mattered.

"The measure of a man." It is one of those phrases that makes me think. Strangely enough, I usually get a visual image of such a man. He is not short, nor fat. I think this is a carnal reaction of my mind to try and grasp what I can understand. However, I need to shed this idea and move toward seeing like God does. This Sunday my pastor spoke about the attributes of the Christian. He said, virtue was the strength and power that flowed from us. In the Greek, it is the word that described the healing power that flowed from Jesus into the woman with the issue of blood in Luke 8. I want to be that man of virtue. I want my life to bring hope and healing to everyone it touches. A life like that isn't built over night and perhaps isn't even realized within one's life time, but it is still my goal. Every decision and every thought needs to be subject to Christ.

I hope my e-life is a blessing to you this year. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment