“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


11 January, 2011

Snow days

I am sitting in my office talking to a volunteer about the good old days. It is funny to reminisce about yesteryear because I am, in the grand scheme of things, not that old. Although some days I feel like it. But it really is interesting to think of the changes I have seen in my life.

When I was in elementary school we didn't have constant access to weather reporting. Many times I would go to bed without any idea of the possibility of an impending snow day. I would wake up to find 6 inches of snow and would run to the TV where I would watch one of the six channels we got. I would intensely watch the school closings waiting to see my district. When I would find my school I would cheer, get dressed and be at my friend Craig's house by 8am.

Sunday night Sarah's house was like the National Weather Service. Computers running figures, kids checking the barometer and satellite imagery of the system moving in to KC. Before heads hit the pillow they knew they were home for the day on Monday. Waking up to inches of snow on the ground, my kids were so excited they...did nothing. One got on the computer, while one put on a movie. After hours of sitting around I got them outside to help me shovel. Following that they did...nothing. Several times asking me what they should do. I am at a loss for words; are kids still kids?

Do you remember when the TV used to go off the air? I do. I remember at midnight or so, the TV would show a flag flying and they would say, "This concludes our broadcast day." Then static would fill the room. Now I can listen to someone drone on for infinity on 182 stations. Ruby brought me her clenched hand and said, "I have a quarter." She opened it to reveal a penny. I said, "Oh sweetie, that is just a penny." To which she replied, "What can I buy with it?" Disheartened I said, "Nothing." Do you remember when pennies were worth something?

I know that nostalgia is always prettier than the reality that was lived, but it still makes me think if I have lost something. Think about today. In 20 years someone will think back to today and remember how much better it was then. I guess the question is, should I try to replace what I have lost or should I try to hold onto what I have now? Or maybe, just maybe its neither and I should just go with the flow. Whatever the answer, I wish I could leave work and go sledding.

Thanks to all that encouraged me yesterday. :)

2 comments:

  1. We had a snow day today. My kids did exactly what your kids did, which was nothing. It was nice to just sit around the house and be together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the joy of a snow day... and now, I abhor them. Mostly because our current school district doesn't know how to build them into the schedule... so then days get tacked onto the end...

    Anyway, I digress.

    I was at a gas station recently that had bins of 'penny' candy. Only I think they were a quarter. I remember spending every cent of my measly allowance - right down to the Tootsie Rolls for a penny.

    Oh those were the days... LOL =)

    ReplyDelete