For the last few months my pastor has been doing a thorough character study on David the king of Israel. Prior to the study I wasn't a fan of David. After all he was a bad man and everyone knew it too. However, through this study I have learned why I don't like him; he and I are so much a like. I know it is common to associate with a figure from the Bible and there are many who have compared themselves to David, but I am amazed I have now.
The similarities are pretty obvious I think. The leader of a people becomes adulterous and has a public fall from grace. But it isn't the mistakes that I think are truly note worthy, but the way we both face recovery. I heard this last night for the first time and I loved it immediately. In 2 Sam 16 David is being pelted with rocks from a man in the crowd. David's security wants to kill the man but David stops him and says, maybe I deserve to be pelted with rocks. It is this type of realization of my mistakes and inherent worth that I find so similar with David. I know that I don't deserve anything I have ever had in this world and that any glory was only because of the one who gave it to me. So, if the Lord so chooses then I will let them throw rocks at me.
Here is my hope: David was a man after God's own heart. So too, I hope to be that man. There have and will be consequences to my sin, but I can still rejoice. Today I know the Lord better than I ever have in the past. I now walk in a trust that I have never experienced before. I have been broken and rebuilt. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but like David I hold onto this; "It may be that the LORD will look upon my misery and restore to me his covenant blessing instead of his curse today.” 2 Sam 16:12
I was part of a study of David a few years ago and it was then that I really realized that God does still love and care for us (and still see us as a valuable part of the Kingdom business), even when we do really stupid things. I admire the relationship between God and David - it is a wonderful reminder, especially when I beat myself up over things, that God knows our human frailties and will stick with us through thick and thin.
ReplyDeleteChris - keep hoping and praying for that likeness to David (and I mean the part about being a man after God's own heart) - God will answer that prayer if you are sincere and open to His leading.
Blessings.