“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


21 January, 2011

Killing babies

I have written before about my love to create and make things. Art, especially computer generated, is one of the things that brings me closer to God. However, there is something that makes me sad about this expression. I don't just make for the sake of making. I like to create for people and have them use or appreciate what I have made. Sometimes when I make something it is because I have been commissioned to do so and the person is going to use the item for their needs.

When I started at my current place of employment I was given the task of starting and maintaining a newsletter. This was awesome! I love newsletters because they are the best of both worlds, graphics and layout. I have twice now made the newsletter for my department and if I do say so myself...stunning. But I found out just minutes ago that it will be scrapped next issue in favor of a template designed by an advertising agency that complies to the graphic standards of the organization. They killed my baby.

It is not that I mind critique or input, but when someone says to me "Whatever you want to do is great" and then they nay say it, I am frustrated. If any of you told me you needed a graphic, I would love to make it for you. I would ask, "What are you looking for exactly?" Then I would make my interpretation of your request. If I didn't get it right I would try again. But when I get no input I think of the kindergarten mantra, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

ARGH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment