I know it is popular in Christianity today to define life into either the secular or the sacred. Polarizing is the easiest way to stir the hearts of followers. After all, we want to know that what we are doing is the absolute purest form of (fill in the blank). However, true zeal is more than just getting amped behind a cause. If we are to truly usher in the Kingdom we need to let God be God. Every time a Christian puts a new requirement on another or worse yet on an unbeliever, we have hindered our cause.
I have often considered that I should write a book on the subject of the "sacred secular". But then I remember, I don't need one more failed project sitting in my forever to-do list. When I was preaching every week this idea was at the heart of my messages. It was my goal to show the extra in the ordinary. I would take the common, everyday things of this world and turn them toward God. Whether it was Star Wars, Metallica, shoe shining or breakfast I would bring the Word of God to the scenario.
I know that the very thought of using the profane to accentuate the incorruptible is disgraceful to some, but I feel that God has gifted me to do this for His glory. This world isn't able to sit and listen to the three hour sermons of John Wesley any longer. Thanks to our lifestyle and technology we need information fast and applicable with all the razzle dazzle of a circus.
Some preachers, like mine, can expound on Scripture without being showy and have you hang on every word. Some preach with the motto, "I studied for this and you are going to pay." I wasn't either of those, but what I was able to do is share the Gospel in a fresh way. Perhaps I relied a little heavily on it and should have expanded my skills, but it was hard to argue with results.
Look around you today and realize, "For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16
No comments:
Post a Comment