“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


28 December, 2010

Chemistry

I love chemistry! For some reason it speaks to me in a very logical and sensible way. I think the table of elements is awesome. This weekend I was in Barnes and Noble when Jude and I discovered a beautifully illustrated book of the elements. I went page by page showing him the different ones and giving him a science lesson. I showed him Hydrogen and explained how it is the most abundant element in the universe. I explained how the noble gases (Helium, Argon, Neon) don't like to party with anyone, but Carbon and Oxygen are great party people. We talked about metals and gases for quite a bit. It is funny because I have had Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3) on my mind recently.

What are we but a collection of elements? If we are 80% water, then we are mostly Hydrogen and Oxygen, but we are also largely Carbon. Add in Iodine, Magnesium, Calcium and others and you have a human being. If you were to collect proportional amounts of these elements and cost them out, the human being is worth $4.50. It isn't the value of the person I want to talk about though. It is the chemistry of people. I think it is funny how we are all comprised of the same elements and yet sometimes have very different reactions to each other. How is it that I can be best friends with someone, while another person can't stand them?

There was a commercial for Dow Chemical that declared the promise of the Human Element. I believe if there is any human element it is the very life we live. While some live an inert life others are quite ionic. This polarization at the molecular level is the very thing that draws or repels us to one another. This seems quite logical to me and yet we fight this idea everyday. We tell ourselves that we need to get along with someone because...they are family, we work with them, or it is the right thing to do. I don't believe that we are called to be best friends with everyone. Christ says we will have enemies. We are to pray for them and we also are called to live in peace with all men, but that doesn't mean a thriving friendship. In fact I think sometimes we can best live at peace with people by just staying away from them. Let me encourage you today to simplify your life, take control of your emotions and stop dabbling in dangerous chemistry.

This is what happens when you slam elements into each other.

2 comments:

  1. Chemistry is my favorite aspect of science... I took two years of it in high school and one in college. I think my favorite part was when we were given a mysterious combination of elements and we had to figure out what it was by doing different things to it... I remember that pretty vividly.

    And I agree as well with the 'human' element. I love when I find that amazingly compatible element in someone else and I am equally amazed when I find that person that just makes me want to stay away... LOL.

    Oh Chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Nice to see you back friend. Hope you had a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete