There are some things in life that it is hard to tell the difference. Some claim they can identify the difference between Coke and Pepsi, but when you get right down to it they are both brown sugar water. Sometimes the generic is better than the name brand. When living in MI I loved Meijer brand products. Their frozen pizzas and raisins were better than the national brands. Sometimes it just doesn't matter if you pick A or B.
But there are times where the decision you make is vital and the role you play crucial. I was reminded of that yesterday when I was confronted with what we do at my work, compared to what others in the field are doing. There is a difference between benevolence and social work. We are fighting for the self sufficiency of our clients. There are some that would like to coddle and lull people into complacency.
As I see it you can do one of three things in social work. You can bandage; this involves throwing money with little time at a problem. You can medicate; this involves a lot of time with little resource at the problem. Or you can cure; this is about giving both time and resource in right measure and empowering the individual to heal. We cure! We are not 100% successful, but nothing is. It is inappropriate to look at the 1% or less and deem our efforts as futile or incomplete.
That is the difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment