“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


03 December, 2010

Movin' on up

(Con't...)
I knew from early on in my relationship with Sarah that I was going to marry that girl. She was funny and beautiful and wanted to take care of me. She and I were oil and water, but that is exactly what was so great about us together. For Sarah's first Mother's day I picked her up for dinner. We went to a restaurant at a local golf course and had dinner. Following our meal we went for a walk on the path around the course. When we turned around to head back she saw the course marquee that read "Sarah Wheeler will you marry me?" By the time she turned around, I was on one knee and had the ring out. She screamed so loud I thought someone would call the police.

The August following Dayton's birth I cried like I had never before. Seeing as Sarah was only 17 she was still living with her parents. It was that year that they got moved and Sarah and Dayton moved with them. My fiance and son moved eight hours away. We would talk everyday and would go see each other every month, but it wasn't good enough. The wedding that was originally scheduled for the next summer would be moved up...quickly. On January 4, 1997 I took the hand of my best friend and was married.

For two teenagers, one of which was still in high school, we didn't have any money or any common sense. We lived in the basement of my parents house following the wedding, but as you can imagine that was not the best fit for a newlywed couple. In September 1997 we bought our first house. It was cute and quaint. A two bedroom starter home that was in a quiet little Minneapolis neighborhood. It was our corner of paradise and it fit us perfectly.

During this time we had made a large transition in our church life as well. We had been attending the larger, classier church in the area. It had everything, but it wasn't for us. We stopped attending for a while, but under conviction decided to go again. This time we would go to a smaller, urban church that appeared to be as mediocre as possible. It was there that Dayton didn't cry when left in the nursery. It was there that the people genuinely were happy to have us there. It was there that I met a pastor that would kindle a fire in me.

Mark and Jennifer Van Meter were the pastors at our church for only 10 months. They were not everyone's cup of tea, but for me it was exactly what I needed. He spoke of a wretched life that was redeemed. He spoke the Word with confidence and authority. When they were moved we were devastated. But again, God had just what we needed in store. A little spitfire named Beckie Stearns and her even keeled husband Doug.

No comments:

Post a Comment