“Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” -2 Kings 6:16
One of my favorite stories in all of Scripture is found in 2 Kings 6. The prophet Elisha is encamped and surrounded by an enemy. His servant begins to freak out, but Elisha knows better. The prophet prays that God would open the spiritual eyes of the servant. At once he sees the Army of the Lord surrounding them and he knows that everything will be alright.
So many times I have had the awesome experience to be given spiritual sight. These moments are the things I turn to when ever I need a reminder of what is real. I wanted to share with you, so by hearing you too will be encouraged.
It was my pleasure to help a local mission every Thanksgiving give out food. My job every year was to pray with people as they came through. One year it was very snowy and the majority of the people came early. This left us with a lot of down time on our hands. From the loft the sound of melody filled the room. The Hispanic members has begun to sing in Spanish. I couldn't tell what they were saying, but I was caught up in worship regardless. Within minutes the room was filled with the tangible spirit of the living God. Without a physical catalyst, a wind swept through the room. It was unlike anything I had ever felt. It didn't just blow against me, it blew through me. It was the very wind that the disciples felt at Pentecost.
Every Saturday the ministry staff took three hours and did home visitation. We were a small urban church, but had a good social ministry to build from. We arrived at an apartment building and went in and up the stairs. While climbing the stairs I seemed to be able to feel a tension. We knocked on the door, but no one answered. We turned to leave, but I was being drawn toward the apartment. I made it to the stairs, but by the third stair I could barely move. Before I hit the landing, my legs were locked and I was crying uncontrollably. The group of us recognizing that God was moving, stopped and prayed over the building. I never found out why, but God revealed just enough that day.
During the Christmas season I would be at the church from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. Finding me there was an easy task. One slow, cold day a man walked in and told me he had been walking for miles and asked if he could sit down. We talked for a while and just relaxed. When he was ready to leave, I got him a bus pass. When I went to place it in his hand I was a ring with an upside down pentagram on it. I tapped the ring and said, "I think you will find more power in a cross". He chuckled and said, "yeah, I have heard that." He turned and walked out. After he left, I turned to walk back to the table. I was shoved into the table. There wasn't any one in the room with me.
One of the Saturday's I was supposed to be doing visitation I walked in the office to meet up with the youth pastor. All the lights were off and I could hear crying. I walked into his office to find him on the floor and crying. I asked what was wrong and he told me that his uncle, whom he was very close to, had died. He began to sob even harder. At that moment I heard a voice say, "When your brother weeps, you will weep with him." I immediately began to cry like I had lost a loved one. I sat on the floor with him and we both mourned.
While typing these stories I have cried and been filled with the awe of God. I hope that you can be encouraged by my witness, but even more so I hope that your spiritual eyes are open.
I have always wanted to hear God's voice - audibly. Have yet to, but I still have time. (I hope.)
ReplyDeleteI believe that when we open ourselves up to God's leading, He allows us to witness these things in a very real way. Unfortunately, I also believe that when we open ourselves up to these things, we are also very vulnerable to the evil as well...
I have recently been made aware of someone that I knew that was very obviously - to myself and a couple of others - possessed by something evil... looking back, I was very aware of this person's personality and temperament, but I allowed myself to be sucked in. I foolishly thought that I could change this person, but unfortunately, I could not. I allowed my heart to get in the way of my head - and thankfully, I was not hurt, nor was anyone in my immediate circle of friends, but others were, and it is terribly sad. I am usually smarter than that.
Satan comes across as beautiful sometimes and that sucks.
Anyway, thanks for sharing these stories. I, too, found myself with 'God' bumps and teary eyes. =)