“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


05 March, 2010

God the fool

I once owned a mini van that was on its last leg. The tranny needed a lot of work and I didn't have the money. The good thing about the van was it worked well most of the time, but would have little issues. So I took this van to the local junk car dealer and asked him what he would give me toward a trade in. He took the van for a test drive and told me he would give me $1,500 toward a newer vehicle. I found a new car, secured a loan and drove off leaving him with the crappy van. I figure that the van probably died shortly after that and either the dealership or a new owner got stuck with the bill for repair. Not my most shining moment but never the less, I was able to fool them and save my own butt.

This deceptive transaction was only possible because the dealer didn't know about the tranny problems. Had he known he never would have allowed the deal to go through. In our lives there are a lot of things that get slipped past us, but not so with God. So many people think that when an event or situation doesn't go the way they want it too that God has been fooled. When someone doesn't get into seminary or when someone gets stood up at the altar or whatever it is in your life that you believe you know what God's will is for this world. To suggest that God gets fooled or is made out to be the fool would suggest that He is not aware about the plot against His will.

Whenever someone leaves the full-time ministry I always here the same thing from that person's contemporaries. "Oh, that's too bad." It is almost like we have been preprogrammed with that response. It is so common amongst ministers that it might as well not even be said, but it is anyway. This response means that the person leaving the ministry has removed themselves from the will of God. Even though the one sharing the disappointment hasn't spoken with the individual nor have they prayed about the situation, they are mourning. This means the only will for someone's life is to remain in the path that was given to them years ago. This leads to the idea if someone strays from this will, he/she has fooled God and circumvented His will. This of course would completely strip the sovereignty from God and makes God to look like a chump.

I think of people that have left their full-time ministry that they were originally called into and how they are doing. Many of them are well, thriving and still valuable members of their churches. Is it possible that even though someone received a call into a full-time ministry that God will still bless them after they have left? Is it possible that God can still be God if you aren't in that calling any longer? I am challenging you the reader for scriptural evidence of this idea of the lifetime calling. Can you show me where this is in scripture? Perhaps I am just not well versed enough to know. Or maybe we should do away with the "Oh, that's too bad."

4 comments:

  1. After we left, and people asked what we've been up to since we've left the ministry, my response became, "Other ministry." As if we somehow gave it up altogether because they took my reds away. Now, I'm still called to that specific ministry of officership, I was never NOT called to it, through the whole ordeal, and I will continue to be faithful and pursue whatever it is that God wants from me, be it officership or something else.

    But I'm not so foolish to think that what God called me to when I was 16 is what he has for me for the rest of my life. Maybe, I hope so, but it's up to God, not me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I do not disagree, your set a challenge so I have something for you to ponder. Numbers 22-24 gives the story of Balaam. He was a Sorcerer, an occupation typically rejected in scripture. Was he living according to God's will in his life? I would think not. Yet he spoke to God, prophesied for God, and helped bring God's will to Earth for Israel.

    Yet we see in Numbers 31 he encouraged the worship of Idols and was killed as an enemy. God uses everything to the fulfillment of his will, but not all the people he uses do so in response to God's will in their lives. I have seen it in the people God allowed to work in my life.

    I do not think this of you. And though I do feel what happened was "too bad," ultimately it will only strengthen your resolve and ultimately, by grace, make you more effective. This is more obvious by your well though out questions and insight into God's Amazing Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually not speaking of myself. I know I removed myself out of God's will and in my situation the phrase "Oh, that's too bad." was and is appropriate. No I am speaking of those who leave because it was their choice. Either to be married or because they just aren't strong enough to face all the issues.
    Secondly, I am still looking for the call in scripture to an entire life of service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well then I guess the only call that I can think of that is life long is to make disciples. (Matt 28) But that is our life of service, not the method of service. I would guess it is the example of ministry in Scripture to a life time calling, but that doesn't really work either as even Paul took breaks to return to tent making.

    So yes there is a life time calling to service in scripture, but to a certain profession? I let you know if I find it. (Don't hold your breath those.)

    ReplyDelete