“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


26 March, 2010

So excited

My first year as a cadet I had the opportunity to present to the school body the morning devotional. I had pained over the text that I was assigned and how I would represent it and what to say. I had put together a nice service and even got to use some multimedia. Then came the moment where I was to deliver the devotion. I got up and stood behind the pulpit. Gazed at a room full of my peers and officers. Opened my mouth and said "Grabble hun doze kiddy?" As I stood there and looked at a room full of puzzled faces, it occurred to me that I just spoke gibberish. I was so excited and nervous that I had forgotten to speak intelligibly. I composed myself, joked about my faux pas and got on with my devotional.

I love the feeling of excitement. The tension inside of you as you see the inevitable become reality. To know with almost certainty that the thing you want and have waited for is coming to fruition is wonderful. The important thing that I have learned is that even though you are excited it is vital to not lose your head. Life still has to go on and responsibilities still need to be addressed. I find the balance to be the hardest thing for me. I love to get excited and just lose my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment