“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


15 March, 2010

Should have been my words

I love to read quotes. Some of my favorites come from Wilde, Voltaire, Twain and Kierkegaard. Not just brilliant but witty as well. These men have given us some of the most wise sayings since Solomon. The heading of my blog is adorned with a saying from Oscar Wilde. When ever I read it I always think "Those should have been my words." It is amazing to me how someone who lived long before me can have shared a thought that is still relevant today. Not just relevant, but it could have come from my own mouth.

Today, those who are inspiring words that should have been mine aren't philosophers or theologians in the traditional sense. These deep thinkers are singer/songwriters. Bands like Pearl Jam, Muse and Snow Patrol are writing words that should have been mine. You will often find their words in my Facebook status. Here are just a few:

If we live our life in fear
I'll wait a thousand years
Just to see you smile again
Quell your prayers for love and peace
You'll wake the thought police
We can hide the truth inside -Muse "Resistance"

Practiced are my sins,
Never gonna let me win,
Under everything, just another human being,
Yeh, I don’t wanna hurt, there’s so much in this world
To make me bleed. -Pearl Jam "Just Breathe"

Solomon says there is nothing new under the sun. I couldn't agree more, but I also find comfort in this idea. Not only are these lyrics recycled from a day long ago, but I am not alone in feeling this way. Many before me have suffered in love and just as many have written about how it hurts. I would guess that you have or are feeling the same way. I would be interested in what sayings, lyrics or quotes should have been your words. Please share.

1 comment:

  1. The lights go out all around me
    One last candle to keep out the night
    And then the darkness surrounds me
    I know i'm alive but i feel like i've died
    And all that's left is to accept that it's over
    My dreams ran like sand through the fists that i made
    I try to keep warm but i just grow colder
    I feel like i'm slipping away

    After all this has passed, i still will remain
    After i've cried my last, there'll be beauty from pain
    Though it won't be today,
    Someday i'll hope again
    And there'll be beauty from pain
    You will bring beauty from my pain
    --Superchick "Beauty From Pain"

    The list of lyrics could go on and on. I too love that idea that there is nothing new under the sun. It's less lonely to think that someone has been where we are. I think it gives hope that even in the places that we sit-- its never the end.
    I'm a major blog lover! so keep writing!

    ReplyDelete