“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


01 March, 2010

Morning person

I am not a morning person, but I also would not consider myself a night owl. Truth be told I have a small window of peak usefulness. From about ten to eleven thirty I am amazing, after that it is down hill. Although, with the right group of people I can party into the next day. This seriously effects my hour and a half apex the next day however.

"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23 ESV
I have been thinking about the dawn of my days. How is God's mercy new in my life everyday? Well I started thinking about the idea of new. New isn't probably the right word. I am sure based on the context that it is "renewed". Otherwise, it would mean there is something new about God everyday and this idea would clash with His immutability. If His mercies are renewed everyday, that means that they have been used up or spoiled. We wouldn't suggest that God has some how tainted His own attribute of mercy so it is easy to conclude that we are the guilty party. How have I pushed the limit of His mercy? Let me count the ways...

Unfaithfulness, it is the defining characteristic of the human nature. When I have chosen to not trust Him or when I have chosen to turn my nose up at His provision; I am unfaithful. Sometimes several times a day I press against His mercy as I repeatedly am unfaithful. But every morning that mercy is renewed and my unfaithfulness is lovingly embraced and my Father's heart is broken for my loss. This morning I am rejoicing in His renewed mercies and resting in His never ending love.

2 comments:

  1. Chris:

    How right you are that God is immutable - unchanging! To that end, the text quoted from Lamentations does not imply that God is changing by adding new aspects of mercies each morning; rather, we are discovering new aspects of His always existant mercies (He reveals to us more about His mercies each day. Amazing!!)

    Glad you are "rejoicing in [God's] renewed mercies and resting in His never ending love.

    Blessings!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,
    Whereas I do agree that we are constantly discovering new mercies from God, the phrase in these verses is contiguous. It is about the never ending quality of His mercy. So I would say that this verse isn't about our role in discovery, but rather the reiteration of His great faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete