“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


12 March, 2010

Out for a walk

I find that going for a walk with someone is a great way to get to know them. Walking allows both of you the closeness to have an intimate conversation, but without the awkward eye contact. People tend to let themselves be more open in this manner of conversing. Most of my closest friends have shared their more painful memories while walking with me. I think there is also something to be said about moving while talking. You feel as if you are making progress in a tangible way.

I am reading through John right now and feel as if I am a stride behind Jesus as he talks. Our conversation of late has been something like this. Me: Where are we going? Jesus: Let me show you. Me: But I haven't been following you for a while. Jesus: I love you, if you remain in me I will remain in you. Me: I haven't been living the way I should. Jesus: If you love me you will keep my commands. Me: What are your commands? Jesus: I have only shared one, love each other as I have loved you.

I know that many will argue with me and say that Jesus tells us to go and sin no more. I don't disagree with that, but as I look through scripture I see Him say this "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." This is the only He uses the word command. Then He says if we love Him we will keep His command. I know why scripture is speaking to me like this right now. Even though I am accepting of people, I don't in turn show love. If I loved like Christ I would be more sacrificial and less Chris focused. That is exactly what I need to learn right now. And honestly, isn't sin about self; if I remove the self, I remove the sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment