“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


23 November, 2010

Five

This week on SNL there was a bit where Kristen Wiig's character tries to one up everyone. She always has to be better or do more than others. A woman shared that this holiday she was "thankful for..." She was promptly interrupted by this character, to which she said "Well, this holiday I am thankful five." Five being one more than four (for). This got me thinking about how thankful I am, and yes I might be just a little more than you. Before Thanksgiving comes and I am so busy cooking and getting so high on Tryptophan that I can't move, I wanted to share with you my "list".

I am thankful for a family that desires reconciliation. I have done many bad things in my life and I have paid many different prices for my sin, but never have I felt anguish like losing my family. I have been out of their daily lives now for over a year. Living elsewhere and most of that time very far away. But now I am within 15 min and see them 4-5 times a week. I have been re-accepted as a part of the family and even given respect as daddy. Everyday that passes our family gets closer and the love grows deeper. This Thanksgiving I am thankful five my family.

I am thankful for a church that values restoration. This year I became homeless and for the first time in my life was completely alone. In the midst of my fear and desperation, they were the hands and feet of Jesus. One of the elders told me, "We don't care what you've done, we care about who you're to be." Grace has been amazing at Englewood. Without them I may not be writing this today. This Thanksgiving I am thankful five my church.

I am thankful for a God who loves a repentant heart. In the past year I have sought God many times. Sometimes half-hearted, sometimes with all my might. I have given lip service and been broken. Even with this on again off again relationship, when I came with all sincerity and humbled myself He forgave me. He didn't just forgive me, but reassured me I was still His. I am living proof that there is nothing that can separate you from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. This Thanksgiving I am thankful five my Jesus.

I hope that your Thanksgiving is wonderful and that you feel blessed. But as you are stuffing your face and loosening your belt, just know...I am thankful five.

No comments:

Post a Comment