“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


27 November, 2010

Empty seats

There is nothing in this world that I enjoy like a Sunday morning full of Spirit led, Christ centered worship. When it comes to bringing this world into the throne room, no one does it like my church. I look forward to that time every week and go to sleep Saturday night with a joyful anticipation for the morning ahead. There have been Sundays where I have walked in to find a guest preacher or a different worship leader and thought, "Oh man, I have been waiting for this and now it won't be the same." And my initial thought has been right every time, it wasn't the same. However it was exactly what God had for me and I was blessed beyond measure.

There is one thing that makes my Sunday morning less than perfect. More often than not, I sit alone. Five rows from the front on the left side is where you can find me any given Sunday. I am there at least 10 min early in order to prepare my tithe and say hi to some folks. But when 9 O'clock hits I am sitting waiting for the worship team to take the stage and I am...alone. During worship I am in a transcendent state, arms raised in submission and heart humbled, but I am alone. During the sermon I listen intently to the word of God that is always presented in an intelligent and well thought out manner, but I am alone. During the altar call I am often found in a moment of commitment and dedication, but I am alone. And just as I entered, worshipped, learned and responded, I leave...alone.

I don't tell you this to sell a tale of woe or to make myself seem like a martyr. I tell you this because I want to tell you what it means to me when my family visits. You see it wouldn't be worth much if I liked being alone in worship, but as it is I don't. My family shows up at my church and I greet them in the back parking lot. We wind our way to the lobby and get the kids hot chocolate. Following the refreshments we take the boys to children's church and then Ruby to her classroom. Sarah, Dayton and I go into the sanctuary and prepare for worship. Now I enter, worship, learn and respond just as before, but now I am with those I love. This little difference is the difference between a great Sunday of worship and an excellent Sunday of worship.

2 comments:

  1. I really miss good worship services... not that we did the best ones when we were corps officers, but they were very much Spirit led, Christ centered... being on DHQ means traveling to different corps and some are so lacking in worshipful meetings. (Even the corps we soldier at lacks). Thankfully, I have camp - where I believe we have an amazingly awesome time of worship.

    How often do you have your family with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One or twice a month. It depends on what is going on at their corps. I attend the most wonderful AoG near where I live. I always enjoyed being the pastor, but I never got to enjoy the worship. Now I get to be on the receiving end and it feels so good. I hope you have a blessed worship experience tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete