I have been thinking about high definition recently and the need for it in our everyday life. I believe we have lost the idea of some words and I am interested in knowing the real definition. The first one that comes to mind is "friend." On Facebook I have hundreds of friends, but I believe that this watering down of the word is the problem. Is a friend just someone you know? Is a friend someone who doesn't wish ill will toward you or is it something more? Our idea of friend is so loose that we needed to give it an adjective to better describe the friend. A work friend or school friend or best friend. I believe that we have diluted this idea of friend because we didn't want to hurt someone's feelings and have them think they weren't our friend. But here is the reality, if you only know someone and have no meaningful impact or resonance in their life, you aren't their friend. You are a peer, colleague, associate, contemporary or acquaintance, but not a friend. I myself am looking for friends right now. People that want to know the real me and have me get to know the real them. People that want to be effected and effect in return. If you are looking for this too, hit me up.
The next word in need of high defining is "hate." There was a time where this was a bad word. When people didn't use this word lightly. But now we hate everything, so much so that we hate inanimate objects. We hate school, food, traffic and slow internet. This word once reserved for the most vile of people and offenders, now has become a calling card of anything unpleasant. The Bible says if we say "you fool" that we have crossed the line. How much more should the word hate be taken seriously? I think that this trampling of definition has served Satan well. We have people that believe that because they are not angry that their actions aren't hate. Angry and hate are separate emotions and don't need to go together. If your actions don't look like Christ, if you desire harm or vengeance and if want separation from a person, you hate them. All the while you are cool and collected. Unlike friends, I have enough of these people right now. I am no longer taking applications to be hated.
Don't forget the word "Love." But I think that is another one of your posts.
ReplyDeleteI still count you as a friend. There have been times in the last year I didn't like you so much, but I still thought of you as my friend. I am glad I will be closer to you again maybe we will have a chance to get together.