I love the finer things in life. If it is extravagant or luxurious I am all over it. I am not interested in names or labels, I like quality. Why buy something cheaply when you can buy superior quality for four times as much? For instance, I have a chef's knife that I got for my birthday. It is made in Japan and alone cost $120. It is Damascus steel and is sharpened by hand by a master craftsmen. The town that the knife was made in is where the samurai sword was invented. My bible is made from highland goatskin and is produced by a company in Scotland. It cost $190 for this heirloom quality book that cannot be purchased in an American bookstore. My journal is the same that Hemingway and Picasso used to jot down their notes. The pen I use to write in my journal and bible is archival quality and acid free. My words will out last the paper itself.
Out of all of the luxurious things in my life the one that I held in least regard became my most treasured. My family is the luxury that has become my necessity. Graham Kendrick wrote "All I once held dear, built my life upon, All this world reveres and wars to own; All I once thought gain I have counted loss, Spent and worthless now compared to this." His words were penned to reflect his heart felt feeling toward His savior and I would also acknowledge this feeling toward God as well, but it is amazing how these words also speak to me about my family. I thought for so long that family was the thing that happened around you while you were trying to live the life you really wanted. It has taken a very painful journey to realize that family is the life I really wanted and everything else is inconsequential. I would give away my chef's knife for an hour with my kids. I would trade my bible in for a pew bible for a date with my wife. None of these mean anything without the ones I love to enjoy them with.
I will probably always love those things in life that are the best, but never again will they mean more to me or have more of my attention than my family. Whether my wife and children are by my side or a phone call away, they are my only priority and that will never change.
No comments:
Post a Comment