“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


05 October, 2010

Anglicized beauty

This world is full of the plain, boring and mundane. You see the same things day after day and they wear on your psyche. That billboard on your way to work, the color of your house and your wardrobe all scream monotonous. That is why I don't understand why people don't take the time to beautify their world. Adding a little bit of flavour or colour to your day is one way to keep your sanity.

One of the things I love is words. Words are beautiful and convey our heart. I have favourite words, ones that I think are cool or sound good. I love the word "obfuscate". It is even better used in the present tense, "obfuscation". I also love the word "vehicular". It just sounds good. I love learning new words and finding ways to use them in context.

I also think that the anglicized English words are beautiful. Words like "colour" and "practise" are the UK equivalent of spelling and are referred to as anglicized. I think a sentence like "I flew on the grey aluminium aeroplane" is pretty wonderful. I know it may seem silly, but I wish I could use words like this without being corrected. But I am sure someone would tell me that "grey" isn't spelled with an E and that "aeroplane" doesn't have an O.

I encourage you to find a way to beautify your world today. If you do and it brings you a little happiness, let me know what you did. I would love to know.

2 comments:

  1. Huh... I always thought "grey" was spelled with an "e". Guess I'd better get with the programme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew this topic would resonate with you Jim.

    ReplyDelete