“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


22 April, 2010

The ladder

I am terrified of ladders. I can go up one about four feet, but after that I am scared to death. I am always worried that the ladder will either tip back or slide out. Not to mention the lack of leverage that you have on a rung. Whenever a ladder is called for I usually find someone that is braver and more sure of foot than I am. The most confidant I have ever been on a ladder is one a Little Giant and that is only because it was an A-frame and maybe six feet up.

I know there are a few of you that read my blog and most I think read it because they are interested in my life. Sometimes I write about a theological thought and perhaps you read those too. But I am going to ask you, if you have read this far already please finish this entry. I know that it might not be what you came looking for, but it is dear to my heart and I want to share with you my thoughts on the subject. I want to write about my concern for the socio-economic condition in our country.

Last night I was watching American Idol. They were doing their yearly good deed, Idol gives back. It is an opportunity to seem like they are more than just a huge money making enterprise. They were highlighting Africa and Mississippi. It is no surprise to see plight, famine and disease in Africa. For generations we have been aware of the desperate situation in the continent. But the scenes from Mississippi were eye opening. It is astonishing to see that in our country, our own people are living in abject poverty. I began to think of what some people must think when they see these scenes. What would the conservative response be? I can only postulate based on policy, platform and talking points. But I assume it would sound like this: "Everyone in this country has the same opportunity to succeed. If they aren't it is because they have chose their life." I can't make myself buy into this or even understand the logic.

I know many of you are conservative. Some of you might agree with this thought and others might disagree. I want to show you the ladder of our society. The current ladder has five rungs. The bottom two are where over 48 million Americans currently stand. The next rung is where the "middle class" stands. Following there is the small business owner and mid-level executives reside. The top rung is reserved for the truly wealthy. Those who's income is eight figures and above. The ladder is broken and needs some work. There used to be three more rungs for Americans to stand, but they have been removed. The socio-economic system that has guided our country for centuries is capitalism. Capitalism has been tied to liberty and America and if you think of anything else, you are anti-patriotic.

I want to tell you what the world would look like if I had a controlling interest. I am a democratic socialist. I know that the talking heads would have you believe that socialism is a dirty word, but give me an opportunity to share the other side. It would be the fair and balanced thing to do. Mixed market democratic socialism doesn't want to make a one rung ladder as many would have you believe. Socialism isn't communism and it isn't a totalitarian regime. It most simply put is the idea that the general welfare of the people is far greater than the money to be made. Imagine with me what the ladder currently looks like. Rungs missing and ladder itself is in a trench deep enough to cover the bottom two rungs. The top rung is 7-8 feet above the next closest one. I want to repair the ladder and put it on level ground. The rungs need to be repaired and brought within a distance that allows everyone to climb.

The bottom two rungs currently sit below ground level which should be the base standard for every American. Children go to free public school through 12th grade; why not free public college? It doesn't make private colleges close their doors. And will not make a degree worthless just because everyone has one. Education isn't a cost, it is an investment. Imagine if our nation, the most wealthy to ever have existed, was also the leader in literacy and had the smartest individuals in the world. What about our nation leading the way in infant mortality, preventable death or hunger? Shouldn't we want better for our nation? When we put these things first people will have the tools to succeed. I could go on and on, but I won't. Our nation is divided, we are no longer the land of opportunity. Greed has driven us to be the land of the haves and have nots. The love of money is the root of all evil.

2 comments:

  1. oh chris, you are so smart. so smart that this is like reading a manual in japanese...i don't understand.

    ReplyDelete