“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” -Oscar Wilde


13 April, 2010

Fliberty gibbit

Ever since I was young I have had a hard time keeping my focus on just one thing or interest for very long. I had a million different hobbies and had so many different interests in toys and games. My parents knew not to ask me for a Christmas list until right before Christmas because I would change my interest so frequently. They began responding to my trends instead of my flavor of the day. As a child I was thought to just be quirky, but as I got older people began to remark that I was the poster child for ADD.

I went to a shrink to get evaluated for ADD last year. He talked to me for 5 minutes and prescribed meds for me. The meds were good, but I was in the middle of a double life and the increased focus was giving me an ulcer. I was only on the meds for a month, but I was able to see what I was like with an attention span longer than a goldfish. It was amazing! I finished an entire day's work in 2 hours. I walked out of my office and said to my secretary "I'm done, what do I do now?" The one down side to this super pill was that it eliminated the creative way I viewed things. I felt like an accountant, overly analytical and bland. It has been my eclectic view on life that has made me who I am.

For the most part I love this constant channel changing in my head. It is great to have such a variety in life. There is now one moment being a fliberty gibbit that has caused me pain and suffering and a sadness that is overwhelming. I thought for a second, that became months, that there was something better than the life I had. I thought the grass was greener, or the opportunity was worth the loss. I was so very wrong. I have never been this wrong before in my life. Sarah and my family was the greatest interest, hobby and love that I ever could have had. I know now that there is at least one thing in life that is important and great enough to hold onto with everything that is in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment