Homer Simpson once pondered "Can God microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?" Ok, perhaps not the most profound theological inquiry but it is more than what I see at Bible studies. Traditionally the average mid-week Bible study is a prepackaged study that is made to end in a nice pretty bow. I have never seen someone start a study unless they know everyone will leave with a theological consensus of approved doctrine. Why is this? Why have we made Bible study an indoctrination? Are we so afraid of original thought that we have to settle for this propaganda?
In John 5 Jesus heals a man and tells him to carry his mat. It was the Sabbath and it was unlawful to carry your mat, as it was considered working. I am sure this is what people were taught in their local Torah study on Wednesday nights. However, Jesus spoke against this and postulated a new thought. If we are to strive to be like Christ we must study past conventional thought. We can still study and know doctrine, but it should never replace what Scripture actually says. Scripture should never be subordinate to man.
Chris:
ReplyDeleteHave you read Brian McLaren's "A Generous Orthodoxy"? I love the subtitle" "why I am missional+evangelical,
post/protestant+liberal/conservative,
mystical+poetic,
charismatic+contemplative,
fundamentalist/calvinist+anabaptist/anglican,
methodist+catholic+green+incarnational+
depressed-yet-hopeful+emergent+unfinshed CHRISTIAN"
Marty Lloyd-Jones writes: "There is thus clearly a sense in which the message of 'justification by faith only' can be dangerous, and likewise with the message that salvation is entirely of grace...
"I would say to all preachers: If your preaching of salvation has not been misunderstood in that way, then you had better examine your messages again, and you had better make sure you really are preaching the salvation that is offered in the New Testament to the ungodly, to the sinner, to those who are enemies of God. There is this kind of dangerous element about the true presentation of the doctrine of salvation."
Keep on wrestling, brother! I'm on the mat with you!!