Yesterday my pastor spoke about lust and the effects it has in our life. It was very well prepared and excellently delivered. Through the entire message I was able to extract changes that I need to make in my life. As usual I was fed by the bread of life. But there has been an echo in my head and I have been thinking about it all day.
My pastor said "Lust will have nothing to do with delay of gratification." He then went on to say that we as a society have been supporting our economy on the basis of consumption of wants rather than needs. If we are to be truly responsible and be good stewards we would change our spending habits. We shouldn't allow the lust of the eyes to drive our purchases. I know I am guilty of this lust.
What does that say about our economy and the system we support? If our economy is lust driven and we must flee from the sin of lust; is our economy evil? Can you condemn lust and promote capitalism in the same breath? I don't think so, I think we as Christians need to examine what we believe. Are we supporting our core values? We have been led to believe for so long that the Christian is the unwavering patriot that votes against abortion. But is this true? Were Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego patriots? We are told that we need to respect the authority above us, but we all would claim the exception not in cases of apostasy. But what about in cases of injustice? When I read Isaiah 58 I see a God who could care less if we are pious if we are allowing social plight. For too long the Christian church has been led on a hook in our mouth over abortion. I agree, the killing of babies is horrible. But when there was a Republican Legislator, President and Supreme Court nothing was changed. No bill was drawn, no law was passed, no case was tried. Utter failure! With this clear message of apathy, why hang our hat on one hook any longer?
No comments:
Post a Comment